Recap of Newton Run 2017

I was not well prepared for this run and I am using this run as a tune up to the Standard Chartered Marathon in a months time. It is difficult to run 32km when you are running alone, even running in such a crowd was difficult but you have more company.

Woke up at 2.15 am after 2.5 hours of sleep, but was relatively fresh. Had a quick breakfast of bread and coffee. Packed my bag and 2 energy gel and a musli bar. Took  taxi and reached the start point at 3.50am. Had to walk about 400m to the start point on the other end of the bridge at Marina Barrage.

It was not as crowded as I thought like the previous year, but still had to wait about 20 minuets for the flagoff. The race started promptly at 4.30am. As usual, the early stages of such mass run are always slow and people just trying to get away from the crowd. I ran without much purpose, just looking around and maybe spot a few people who are around my pace to tag along later in the race. We exited the Marina garden east around 2.5km and entered Ford Road just before hitting 3km. I made a quick toilet break around 3.2km at a toilet along the East Coast park. This park is a familiar place as I used to run along this stretch of park area a few years ago. It was still dark at around 5 am, so not much to see. It was not fun to run around in the early morning hours, you can tell that such runners come here for a purpose, that is to put in a good long run. I kept to a 6.15 to 6.25 per km pace and soon reached the turning point in the park at 11.7 km, time 1hr 16min.

I took 1 museli bar just before 8km to make sure I had enough energy to run well. I was still feeling good as I make my way back out the park. I am still apprehensive about my fitness but at the same time I was still feeling good. I took my 1st energy gel around the 18km mark and my legs still feel good. I remind myself to run easy and just keep up the 6.20 plus pace.

As I made my way out of East Coast Park, it was already 6.55am and the sky was already bright. I passed the 21km at around 2hr 17min. I knew the temperature will keep going up, I told myself I must make my way out of the miserable stretch going into Marina East garden. I was quite surprised that I did not get any muscle cramps at all passing 27km mark at the Barrage Ramp.

At this point, I passed by the Flower Dome at the Garden by the Bay, this was where I struggled a lot last year and I dreaded it. I told myself no matter what I not walking, so I just pressed on. Soon I was passed by the Marina Bay Sands Hotel and Mall and reached the 30km mark around 3hr 18min into the run.
This was the final stretch and the heat was really making me feel really hot. I just keep up putting one foot in front of the other. I could see the finishing sign, I just open up my pace a little and crossing the line in 3hr 34min 40sec. A good run today abide a little slow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relax ! Humans are not going anywhere far !!

SpaceX Starship first touchdown

Human need to move away from combustion engine