Brooks Marina half marathon 14 Feb 2015

Completed the Brooks Marathon Half Marathon on 14 Feb 2015 Saturday, the 1st long distance race of the year. It's a night race and the start time was 7.30pm at the Marina East Garden just next to the Shears Bridge.

The race started at 7.30pm, according to the DJ, there were about 2,000 plus runners in the half marathon event and about 3,000 plus in the 10km which flagged off at 5.30pm. There were 2 waves and I was able to start in the 1st wave as I reached 40 minutes before flag off. I was able to get very close to the start line and everyone was running fast at the start, but I was conscious of how fast I can go and tried my best to hold back to around 5.45 per km pace. My pace was comfortable and close to what I can hold for a 20km run, passed through 5km at 28:17. Held this pace till about 8km mark and then speed up a little to about 5:20 for the 9km and then even faster to 5:09 pace for the 10km. Passed the 10km mark at 55:30, not too bad but can feel that I am not running quite as smooth due to my late lunch at 4.30pm.

Subsequently, my pace dropped back to 5:23-5:26. Crossed the 13km mark in 1 hour 11min and the 15km mark in 1 hour 22min. At about the 17 km mark, I could feel my calf muscle tightening up, not a good sign. I tried my best to not let the muscle cramp get to me by slowing down abit, my pace was 5:58 for the 19km and 5:46 for the 20km. By then my calf muscle seemed alright, so I slowly up my pace for the 21km to 5:13. Finally, I finished the race in 1hour58min38sec, my 620 showing a distance of 21.43km. 1min 11sec off my PB, 16min faster than my time in 2014. A little disappointed that I did not achieve a new PB as I was quite confident that I would get it before the race. But, I am quite happy that I no longer run fearing of the last few km anymore, I can now run a much more confident last few km.

A new lesson learnt, eat actual meal at least 4 hours before a run, I suffer the consequence of a half digest meal I guess. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relax ! Humans are not going anywhere far !!

SpaceX Starship first touchdown

Human need to move away from combustion engine