Singapore Open Athletics Championship 2015

I was at the New Singapore National Stadium, I witnessed the running of the men 10,000 metres race. The overhead shutter was 85 percent close, providing shade from the afternoon sun. There were about 8-10 competitors in the race, the first 2 places were Vietnamese athletes, running an average of about 75 seconds per lap. To a layman it might means nothing watching the athletes running at such a speed, but to any average runner who ever timed themselves running a lap on a standard 400m track, it will be mind blowing.

When I watched the 2 front runners, I can feel like they were sprinting instead of running. I myself perhaps can run averaging 2min2.1sec per lap for 25laps, I really cannot visualising myself running at 75 seconds per laps. It will take some natural talent and lots of tough training to run at such a level.

The winner completed the race in 30min36.53sec, averaging 73.462sec per lap, the 2nd place runner finished in 30min57.81sec, also Vietnamese. Third was local runner Melvin Wong who finished in 33min57..19sec.

Any event longer than 800 metres is really different from other event, it take sheer determination to keep running at a fast speed and to make a breakthrough to the next level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relax ! Humans are not going anywhere far !!

SpaceX Starship first touchdown

Human need to move away from combustion engine