Review of My SCB Marathon 2015

I actually had enough training based on my personal running history over the years. I am just a very ordinary runner who always dream of breaking 3 hours in the marathon. I took part in a total of 11 marathon but only 3 are under 5 hours. So you can tell I am a slow runner, who dream big.

Prior to the race, I logged about five 3 hours run, and maybe about five 2 hours plus run and a series of other 10km or more runs.

This year, I clocked 4 hours 59 min 27 sec, 12 min 1 sec slower than 2014. The main reason is because my body won the battle against my mind, I was so overwhelmed by the tiredness of the body and I walked a little too much. The fun part of the race is the last 10 km when your body is extremely tired and it's ready to just give up. This is when your mind take charge and start to remind you that you should not give up.

Last year, the muscle cramp started around 26km of the race, this year managed to delay it until I reached 30km. From this point onwards, I had to really kept applying muscle rub cream to keep the muscle relax and warm every km or even a few hundred metres. In fact, this had been the highlight of the marathon race for me over the last 5 years that I participated. I had to keep rubbing and stretching every so often to loosen up the thigh and calf muscle, so that I can continue to run. I did not walk more than 30 metres at every stop that I made, I was determined to run as much as possible.

What I failed to do, was to keep up a positive mind set all the way, I let negative thoughts slipped into my conscious mind. These negativities made me stop more often and run so slowly because it kept telling my body that it was very tired and needed to rest.

In future, I need to make sure I block out such negative thoughts, in order to run faster. Of course, I will need to train more to make my body stronger and endure better. I will run faster in 2016, and hopefully dip under the 4 hours barrier. I must always remind myself that the mind is always stronger than the body.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relax ! Humans are not going anywhere far !!

SpaceX Starship first touchdown

Human need to move away from combustion engine